Software Defined Networking
- A way to controlling the network from a logically centralized high level program i.e. Controller.
- Decouples control plane from data plane.
- Network Virtualization is one of the application of SDN – Software defined networking can be leveraged as a tool to achieve Network Virtualization.
- Carving out multiple virtual network from a single physical network
- Administration of each virtual network is delegated to same or different entity
- Administrator of one virtual network doesn’t have access to the traffic flowing through other virtual networks even if they are sharing the same physical link
- Virtualization can happen at many levels/layers e.g. at Routers (L3), Ethernet (L2), OTN (L1) or Wavelength (L0)
- Better utilization of network resources